“Coastal Resiliency in the Face of Environmental Change: Are current laws and policies flexible for a changing world?” a symposium cohosted by Oregon Sea Grant and the University of Oregon Environment and Natural Resources Law Center, will be held on April 7, 2017 at the University of Oregon in Eugene, Oregon.
It seeks to bring together law and policy experts, scientists, practitioners, and managers to present and discuss issues related to changing environmental conditions, such as ocean acidification, sea level rise, and other climate stressors, their impact on natural resources, coastal infrastructure, and energy development – all through a legal and policy lens.
This symposium is free for all participants, lunch and refreshments will be provided. Space is limited, pre-registration by April 3 is encouraged.
Pending: Receive 4.5 hours of free CLE credits by attending this symposium. More information about the credits will be available at the registration desk.
Coffee and pastries
- Heather Brinton, Environmental and Natural Resource Law Center, University of Oregon
Terry Thompson and Wayne Belmot - Keynote Speakers
Overview of environmental changes anticipated for Oregon.
- Dr. Ryan Kelly, Univeristy of Washington School of Marine Affairs
- Dr. Steve Rumrill, Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife
- Dr. George Waldbusser, Oregon State University, College of Earth, Ocean, and Atmospheric Science
Panel moderators: Cole Sito and Libby Pettit, University of Oregon, School of Law
Sea Level Rise and Infrastructure
- Dr. Jessica Whitehead, North Carolina Sea Grant
- Matt Spangler, Department of Land Conservation and Development
- Steve Shipsey, Oregon Assistant Attorney General
- Meg Reed, Department of Land Conservation and Development
Panel moderator: Maggie Franquemont, University of Oregon, School of Law
Renewable and Nonrenewable Energy
- Courtney Johnson, Crag Law Center
- Jason Busch, Oregon Wave Energy Trust
- Rebecca O’Neil, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
- Adam Schultz, Oregon Department of Energy
Panel moderators: Brent Sutten and Wilson Jarrell, University of Oregon, School of Law
Shelby Walker, Oregon Sea Grant
- University of Oregon Law School
Room 175 Auditorium Hall
- (541) 737-8715
- 7:30 - 22:00